Sustainable development is an integral part of Maibec's daily concerns. Through the various stages of the manufacturing of its products, from the resource to the final product, Maibec integrates practices with a constant concern for the environment.

Managing forests with sustainability in mind

The chief concern of all forestry engineers is ensuring sustainable forests. Wood is also a renewable resource. Forests naturally regenerate after trees are harvested. Our forest resources are managed at all times in a way that enables them to regenerate. If a forest struggles to regrow naturally, we help it by planting trees. Roughly 80% of harvested areas regenerate on their own, while the remaining 20% is helped with replanting.

Using low VOC paints

Maibec uses water-based paints that meet Quebec’s Ministry of Sustainable Development, Environment, and Fight against Climate Change requirements for volatile organic compound (VOC) content. We also calculate our annual emissions to support efforts to monitor atmospheric emissions.

Ongoing monitoring of potential environmental risks

We recognize that our plant operations may have certain impacts on the environment. We work hard to minimize such impacts by constantly putting new improvement projects in place. For example, some of our production sites may require that logs or wood residue that could affect surrounding water quality to be stored. For a number of years now, we have also regularly monitored parameters of interest for Quebec’s Ministry of Environment.

Recycling residue

At Maibec, we use wood to its full potential. One way in which we do this is by producing mulch. This puts the leftover cedar bark from our shingle sawmills to good use. These and other efforts allow us to make the most of every tree and minimize waste.

Reducing our head office carbon footprint

We recently created a green committee to change work habits at our head office. This initiative will allow us to reach a number of reduction goals and ease our collective impact on the environment. Among other things, our green committee will focus on reducing the amount of waste we produce.